Foreign investors (both institutional and individual ones) shall apply for securities trading codes with Vietnam Securities Depository (VSD) when investing in Vietnam Securities Market.
Each foreign investor will be granted with one securities trading code. A foreign securities company will be granted with two securities trading codes: one for proprietary trading account and one for brokerage account. Foreign investment funds, the Multiple Investment Managers Fund – MIMF, foreign governmental investment organizations or international intergovernmental investment organizations can apply for multiple trading codes according to following principle:
- Each investment portfolio of foreign government investment organizations or international intergovernmental investment organizations deposited at a custodian bank is granted with one trading code;
- Each investment portfolio of MIMF managed by a fund manager is granted with one trading code; investment portfolio managed by a fund itself is also granted with one trading code.
Within 30 days since its changes of information, foreign investors, via depository members (DMs), shall report the followings to VSD:
a) Change of custodian bank where they open their indirect investment accounts;
b) Change of name, head office, contact address of investors or trading representative (if any);
c) Change of passport number or other valid personal certificate (for foreign individual investors); number of business registration certificate or other relevant identifying documents issued by foreign authorities
d) Change due to split, merging and acquisition.
Investors’ changes have to be confirmed by VSD in writing.
Detailed procedures of applying for securities trading codes are specified in Circular No. 123/2015/TT-BTC dated 18 August 2015 by the Ministry of Finance guiding investment activities of foreign investors in Vietnam Securities Market and Guideline on Applying for Securities Trading Codes promulgated under Decision No. 213/QĐ-VSD dated 18 December 2015 by VSD's CEO.
Guideline on Applying for Securities Trading Codes in Legal Documents on VSD’s website can be found here.
- Procedures of applying for securities trading codes for foreign investors
- Procedures of changing information of foreign investors
- Procedures of cancelling trading codes for foreign investors